Location: White Orchard, south of Nilfgaardian Garrison
Reward: Varies; see below
- To trigger this quest you need to find a Merchant in the northwest of White Orchard. He’s sitting at a small dip in the road to the southwest of the Nilfgaardian Garrison, on the edge of the boggy lands so loved by Wolves. Refer to the map for a precise location. He does not appear on the map as a question mark, so you may have to hunt around a bit.
- The Merchant will implore you to look for his cart, which has been waylaid. You’ll find it in a yellow area of interest a short trip northwest from the Merchant’s fire. Use your Witcher Senses to determine that the cart went off the road, then follow the tracks into the swamp to the northwest a bit. You’ll have to fight off some Drowners to get at the cart.
- Inspect the cart once the Drowners are dead. The cart itself, the horse attached to it, and a nearby body are riddled with arrows. Inspect all three.
- That done, hunt about for the Locked Strongbox the Merchant wanted you to find. It’s located next to a tree a few feet from the dead horse. If you’re having trouble finding it, follow the horse’s snout to the nearest tree, then look one clump of dirt over. You can also take the opportunity to ransack the cart before you leave, if you wish.
- Return to the Merchant. If you hand over the Strongbox without a fuss you’ll receive 20 gold and some experience, and the quest will end. Try to question him on it, however, and he’ll hop on his horse and try to escape. Jump on Roach and chase him down. If you manage to catch him and give him a clout with your sword you’ll bring an end to the festivities; if you simply chase after him, he’ll lead you to a camp of baddies you’ll have to kill, as well as fighting the Merchant himself. Clouting him on the horse is a fair bit easier.
- Once the Merchant is taken down he’ll reveal his true identity. At this point you’re given three choices:
- Turn him over to the Nilfgaardians. You’ll receive 30 gold and experience.
- Let the man go. Again, 30 gold and experience.
- Let the man go, but keep the box. The box contains 50 gold, five Celandine, and four White Myrtle. You’ll get the least amount of experience this way.
The quest ends regardless of what you choose. It will also end, in failure, if you did not manage to catch him on the horse, and did not keep him within a reasonable distance.