|The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt created by CD Projekt Red.|
Images used for educational purposes only.
Location: White Orchard
Prerequisites: Check the Notice Board
Suggested Level: 2
Reward: 20+ gold, XP
- First off, check White Orchard’s Notice Board. It’s the first one you’ll come across in the game, right in the centre of town, more or less. The notice has the same name as the quest.
- Next you need to speak to the petitioner, a dude named Odolan. He’s in a larger home on the far west end of White Orchard. Odolan will describe the problem: he needs you to take out a wraith that’s haunting his well. If you feel up to it you can haggle the base price up a bit, as well.
- Odolan will direct you to Hovel, a small settlement just south of White Orchard. The village is now just ‘Abandoned Village’, however, and you’ll find nothing waiting for you most of the time. if there’s nothing here, use your Witcher Senses to check the grass near the well, as well as the corpse of a dog. Geralt will decide it’s a Noonwraith you’re after.
- The Bestiary will determine that Noonwraiths only show up at noon, duh, so plop down somewhere and meditate until 12 pm. Then reenter Hovel. You’ll find the Devil by the Well waiting…
- … buuuut it won’t attack, or at least it won’t unless you get too close to the well. If you incur the thing’s wrath, throw down a Yrden trap and lure it in to slow it down substantially, then swipe your sword until it vanishes. (You’ll have to wait another 24 hours to see it again, however.)
- The appearance of the Devil will trigger points of interest in the three houses of Hovel. Check them over with your Witcher’s Senses to find a Yellowed Diary, bloodstains, and plenty other handy items besides. Check the Yellowed Diary under your Quest Items for more information, then look on the floor for drag marks that lead out to the well. Inspect the rope attached to the well for a cut scene.
- Hop into the well once you know what you’re looking for. The Ornate Bracelet you want is almost directly down from where you land, and sparkles lightly. Head north out of the water once you’ve found the Bracelet, diving and rising as necessary, until you find a pathway to a small pond just outside Hovel.
- Return to the well and choose ‘Burn Body’ on the skeleton once you’re ready to fight. Swords up, lads!
Devil by the Well
Not too bad a fight overall, even if you’re not at level two. The Devil by the Well comes at you with slow, easy-to-spot swipes, and she’s pretty easy to avoid with sidesteps. Let her swipe, then attack her with sword strokes. Yrden traps will slow her down. Once you do enough damage there’s a chance the Devil will create a doppelganger to trick you, but one hit will get rid of it. No big deal.
- The Devil will drop a bunch of crafting items when defeated, including a Noonwraith Trophy. Take it back to Odolan to complete the request and earn your reward. (If you want to be a right decent bloke you can let the guy keep the money for his daughter, which will earn you an Amethyst instead.)
- Not done yet! You can do a little extra on top of clearing the well. As you proceed along the main quest you’ll meet an herbalist called Tomira, during the quest The Beast of White Orchard. Speak to her about Claer, the woman who died in this quest, and she’ll give you 10 gold and a whoooole bunch of crafting items. Glee!