|Chrono Trigger owned by Square-Enix. |
Images used for educational purposes only.
Ioka Village, 65,000,000
- Welcome back to Ioka! Yep, you were shunted waaaaay into the past. After being greeted by Ayla and watching some cut scenes, you’ll learn that the woods in the north are burning. Make haste. (Also? Frog’s with you to stay. Yay!)
- Head north a short way from Ioka Village to find the remains of Laruba Village. Head north in the village to watch another cut scene. Ayla will run off again, and you’ll have to follow her to the Dactyl Nest in the far north.
- (Eventually the people of Laruba will move out of the village and into Ioka. Once they do - this will be a fair while, mind - you can revisit the ruins of Laruba Village and find a single Nu living in the north of the village. He’ll change the names of your team members if you decide you want to switch.)
- Before you head to the Dactyl Nest, check out Ioka’s trading house. It has a new assortment of equipment for you to collect, summarized below:
- Petal and Fang = Dreamstone Gun
- Petal and Horn = Dreamstone Bow
- Petal and Feather = Magma Hand
- Fang and Horn = Primeval Blade
- Fang and Feather = Ruby Vest
- Horn and Feather = Stone Helm
- As soon as you enter the area you’ll find a Cave Ape and two Schists waiting. The Cave Ape seems like the major threat, but the Schists can be very annoying if you hit one and cause it to sprout a tiny volcanic spout. Take each enemy on one-at-a-time, starting with the Cave Ape. Magic doesn’t do so well in this area, so stick to physical attacks and Techs.
- Straight ahead is a ladder guarded by two Avian Rexes. No big deal. Climb the ladder once they’re dead to find a box containing a Mid-Ether.
- Head south along the ledge. Three Schists wait. You can easily avoid them if you wish. Check the box down and to the right of the Schists to find a Mid-Potion, then wander north.
- There are two Cave Apes and a Schist waiting on the next screen. You don’t have a choice; kill ‘em off. Head north, up the cliff, and then twist back south to find two more Schists waiting. They’ll be joined by a Cave Ape if attacked. Check the box by the ladder on the right for Mesozoic Mail.
- Two more Avian Rexes block the remainder of the path. Past them you’ll hit a cut scene, and Ayla will join the party - this time, like Frog, to stay. Double yay!
- You now have your first manual means of transportation in a set of dactyls, and you can use them to explore 65,000,000 BC at your leisure. That saaaaaid, there really isn’t a whole lot else to see in this time period outside your destination: the deadly Tyranno Lair, to the southeast of the Dactyl Nest. Head back to Ioka if you need refreshing, then fly to meet the Reptites on their home turf.