|Final Fantasy VI copyright Square Enix.|
Images used for educational purposes only.
Zone Eater’s Belly
- Hop in the Falcon and fly to the northeast corner of the map. Just off the coast of the continent that’s home to the Veldt you’ll find a small, triangular island. This was originally the home of Intangir, the strongest monsters in the World of Balance, though now it’s populated by a different breed of creature: the Zone Eater.
- Zone Eaters aren’t amazingly strong and can be killed with relative ease, but that’s not your purpose here. Instead, you want to let the Zone Eater consume your characters. Sit still and watch as the Zone Eater sucks everybody down. Rather than getting a Game Over…
- … you’ll wind up in a dungeon. Huh. The enemies down here aren’t too bad, though Shambling Corpses can get really annoying with their Life Shaver attack if you don’t one-hit kill them. You can leave the Zone Eater’s Belly by entering the beam of light north of where you come in; otherwise, head south.
- The next chamber contains a series of bridges that lead westward. They’re patrolled by men in green who will, given the chance, knock you off of their respective bridge and force you to start over. (Though you can find a Hi-Ether and a Red Jacket in chests if you’re dropped off the bridges, so it’s worth being shoved off once.) Carefully time your jumps from bridge to bridge as you head west. You can find chests containing Genji Armor, a Magical Brush, and a Fake Mustache if you’re willing to brave the bridges a little more thoroughly.
- Past a save point - which, given what’s to come, you should really use - is a room with a falling roof. Get caught under the roof as it descends and you’re immediately dead. You need to watch the descent of the roof and get into the gaps when the roof rises to survive this area. You can find a Zephyr Cloak, a Hero’s Ring, and a Pinwheel as you move to the west.
- Almost done. This last area contains a chest-hopping puzzle. Hop across the first three chests, then hop from the bridge to the button on the island to the south to create two more jump points. This will allow you to hop to a Thunder Shield on the left side of the screen. Head for the door in the north after popping the chest and you’ll find a surprise on the other side…