This little sub scenario opens up after completing the Temple of Fire and departing from the western lands. That said, you must first go through the somewhat annoying process of relocating Egil to Caldisla to make it appear. Do that and the sub scenario will appear over in Hartschild.
- Return to Hartschild after relocating Egil to Caldisla. You'll find the trigger for the sub scenario in Commander Goodman's mansion, in the north of town. Head inside.
- (Make sure you save before entering. There's a battle coming at the end of the sub scenario, as usual, but you won't find a robed save dude waiting inside the mansion. Hopefully you don't lose, 'cause then you have to do the whole thing over again...)
- A lengthy cut scene ensues, and all of the parties are introduced in turn. Something is very suspicious... and those suspicions are quickly verified. A plot! Death! Murder! Intrigue! The party needs to get to the bottom of this!
- Eventually you'll gain control of your party again. Move from person to person in the mansion, speaking to each in turn. They'll provide you with hints and ideas as to who might be responsible for this whole debacle.
- There are two ways in which this scenario can play out. Either you can keep following the prompts to talk to each person in turn, and go through the scenario in its entirety, which is a bit more fulfilling - though ultimately more tragic...
- ... or you can go upstairs and look at the body of Nastassja, the woman who was killed. It's obviously unresponsive at first, but if you keep poking at it long enough... well, you'll see. Either way, the plot unravels and the true killer is laid bare! Battle time!
Tricky, very tricky. Kikyo is befitting her ninja status: not only does she hit hard, she's highly evasive. Her Utsusemi Technique allows her to completely avoid the next physical attack used on her. Fortunately, this means that only the first in a string of Brave attacks will miss. On top of that she has the physical counterattack move Transience, which will do over 1,000 HP damage to one character who misses her with an attack, and Shippuujinrai which will pretty much allow her to go first on a turn without fail. This last one can brutalize a team that's already been weakened by her other attacks.
First step? Protect. Protect the heck out of your characters. All of Kikyo's attacks are physical, and you'll deaden the impact her inevitable counterattacks will do. After that, assault her with your best moves, leaning more towards the accuracy problems associated with Utsusemi Technique. The battle will probably take a while, but Kikyo's inability to take down more than one character in a round (generally, anyway) will work to your advantage. Don't be afraid to hold back a full round and Default your whole party, as Kikyo uses Utsusemi Technique relatively often, and she'll basically waste her turn while everyone on your side gets a BP to use next time 'round.
- After beating Kikyo you'll earn the Ninja asterisk. The Ninja job allows you to equip weapons in both hands without taking a penalty to your physical attack damage. Nice, very nice.
- Though there's ultimately not much of a difference to your game at large, this scenario will end differently if you poke the corpse mercilessly rather than seeing the scenario all the way through.